All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
k1mzzz
Labourer
Labourer

No Cold Water in Bathroom and Loft Tank not Emptying

by k1mzzz » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:03 pm

Hi,

I have no cold water in the bathroom - nothing coming out of the basin tap, a very small trickle from the bath tap and the toilet takes about 20mins to fill up.

We have a cold water tank in the loft that we can't empty (if we leave the bath tap on, the flow goes to zero when the tank is still half full!!).

What can we do? I think there may be debris in the pipe connecting the tank to the bathroom bits, but no way to be sure (the tank has no lid, we have an insulated loft).

I've seen some forums talk about a reverse flush (using mains pressured water to force the blockage back up the system), however, can only see references to a hose pipe. Is there any way to do this without hosepipe - I can't find any plumbing hosepipe anywhere and the garden hose will definitely not fit over the mixer tap in the kitchen!

Alternatively, does anyone know anyone who can do this cheaply (in SE, Bucks)?

Thanks in advance,

k1mzzz

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Re: No Cold Water in Bathroom and Loft Tank not Emptying

by greengrass » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:05 am

B & Q , Home Base, or Wickes whoever has these fittings.
The numbers refer to Hozelock fittings. www.hozelock.com look up hose and tap fittings
Materials: Rule out those you’ve already got.
*2176 tap connector. Look at tap design and decide if the connector will be suitable.
*2166 hose end connector
Obviously a 1/2 “ hose if you haven’t one. Or may need extra hose to extend existing with connector 2100 .
*you will need two of each if you haven’t an outside tap, if you have no hose then obvious you have to buy one in which case you will need to double up on * items and only one 2100 if you have to buy two hoses.
Connect up the hose to kitchen/outside tap and open the bathroom tap the hose is connected to, stating the obvious.
Now this is where an assistant comes on the scene, not for coffee but to ensure when you turn the tap on in the kitchen/outside tap the hose on basin/bath tap doesn’t fly off. Gradually open the mains tap until fully open 15 -20 secs shut it off leave hose connected in kitchen. Go to bathroom turn off the basin/bath tap undo the fitting to the tap turn on the tap see if water is running. Spluttering is residue air being forced out by the water and it should settle down. I'm not a plumber but done above and plumbed my own property. Guess around £90 for a plumber. Remember a 'Call out charge' should be part of the bill if his/her price is accepted and not charged as extra get that cleared up before accepting services.

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

by lets have a look » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:13 pm

That's strange that the tank is half full,is it a good flow when the tank is full

k1mzzz
Labourer
Labourer

by k1mzzz » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:37 pm

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a fitting for the mixer tap in the kitchen. I ended up calling a plumber who linked the hot to the cold in the bathroom via a service valve. This had the effect of dislodging a load of limescale stuff, which got the water flowing normally again!

Cost was £50; time to complete this was about 30 min.

Thanks for your suggestions - the concept was the same, so this should've worked :)

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:14 pm