no hot water from any tap in the house
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cath1602
Labourer
Labourer

no hot water from any tap in the house

by cath1602 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:56 pm

I was having a shower when the hot water cut out.

There is no water at all coming from the hot tap in the bath/shower, bathroom sink or kitchen sink.

There is a shower pump, and this does not come on.

The boiler is working ok, the central heating is ok (radiators are on), there is cold water.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Catherine

gasmick
Tradesman
Tradesman

by gasmick » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:51 pm

hi it sounds like you have an airlock on the hot water side and its possible its being caused by the pump fitting on the shower if its not been fitted with a surrey flange off the cylinder top, as otherwise it can pull air in through the expansion pipe in the roof, so get the instalation checked out first.
The airlock can be got rid of by connecting the cold mains water to the hot tap usually on the sink via a plastic hose with a tap connector on each end then you can open the hot tap then the cold and backfill the pipework until it comes out of the expansion pipe then it should get rid of all air

cath1602
Labourer
Labourer

by cath1602 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:31 pm

Yes, that seems to have been the problem.

I have a mixer tap on the bathroom sink and I was able to force cold water into the hot side by blocking the tap. I will have to look at the shower pump and see if I can do anything to avoid the problem in future, but for now I am sorted.

Thanks very much.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:24 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:59 pm