No Soil Stack Ventilation on Outside of Property?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
daily trivia
Labourer
Labourer

No Soil Stack Ventilation on Outside of Property?

by daily trivia » Thu May 18, 2017 1:20 pm

I hope that some kind plumber reading this can answer my queries.

I am about to buy a chalet bungalow but am a bit concerned about the existing plumbing.

There is a stink pipe going out of the kitchen wall and above the roof line so assume that it is to ventilate the sink, washing machine and dishwasher.

There are two bathrooms - one in the roof and one downstairs directly underneath so the upstairs stack connects to the downstairs one. What puzzles me is that there is no ventilation for the soil stack outside the house except for the one outside the kitchen. The kitchen is adjacent to the bathroom so I am wondering if it is possible that somehow the soil stacks are connected to the one visible stink pipe outside the kitchen to provide ventilation for all.

The bungalow was built in the 1930 so is it possible there is no ventilation at all!

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Re: No Soil Stack Ventilation on Outside of Property?

by greengrass » Sat May 20, 2017 2:35 pm

Photo's would help.
However if the pipe that comes out of the kitchen is standard 1.5 ins waste going in to the stack pipe that is to drain off your sink etc in to the stack pipe this saves digging out a separate drain as the stack pipe is so close .

The stack pipe 4" is open above roof line and usually has a wire grid capping in the top to prevent birds falling in and blocking the vent, this provides the ventilation of manhole gasses. .

My standard bungalow is same the vent pipe extended to above roof eaves, usual to be about 3 ft. Unless the rules have changed this method of drainage is ok as long as proper water traps (S, P or Bottle traps ) are provided at the sink and washing machine and any other discharge point. Toilet discharge pipe will be 4" unless the macerator type.(and electric motor shredder within the box back of the toilet pan the discharge pipe is about 1.5

If you are having a survey get him/her to check that's what your paying for.
hope this helps diy plumber on my property only. Don't take plumbers livelihood away by pirating.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:24 pm