No water in toilet
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hazzbo
Labourer
Labourer

No water in toilet

by Hazzbo » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi, I have very little water in the toilet pan in my upstairs en-suite, from checking this site it looks lke it is the air admittance valve.
Unfortunately I cannot locate it anywhere.
It's a 4 bedroom detached made by Leech Homes in 2000.

It's not under the basin or toilet.
Any help would be appreciated thanks.. :lol:

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:03 am

The chances are it is going to be concealed behind the wall of your ensuite. It fits in a vertical piece soil pipe and must be sighted higher than the hand basin (if that is the highest point on the system.

Have you checked th loft space? Does the soil protrude through the roof?

Why do you think it may be the valve?

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:42 pm

hi
i cant see why it would be the valve,more like a blockage,i know you would assume with a blockage that the water level would rise but you can get it so that the blockage allows a certain level of water thru but not back reducing the volume in the trap becomes like a one way valve,try flushing and plunging at the same time
bob

Hazzbo
Labourer
Labourer

by Hazzbo » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:12 pm

Thanks for getting back...

There is no soil stack from the roof and as far as I can see it's plasterboard finish around the whole en-suite with nothing boxed in above the basin. I checked the loft space above the toilet but could not see anything obvious.

When the toilet flushes it leaves very little water in the pan and gurgles at the end, it will hold water when filled by jug.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:16 am

Has it always done this ?
Any alterations carried out ? new toilet or cistern ?

Check water level in cistern, if it's overfilling - or just filling more than before. The motion/pressure of the excess water when flushing can cause this.

Air admittance valve - any smells in bathroom ? ask neighbours if same design house, maybe they've had similar bother - or know where the AAV is.

htg

EyeTry
Tradesman
Tradesman

by EyeTry » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:21 pm

If you are having problems with the en-suite loo does that mean you have another loo somewhere? If Yes is it connected to the same soil stack? If Yes does that one flush and refill the syphon trap okay? If you flush that loo does it pull any water (lower the level) from the en-suite loo? If the answers are Yes then it suggests the problem is down to a faulty (or lack of an) Air Admittance Valve.

You don`t mention whether the syphon is S style (joint goes into pipe in floor) or P style where joint goes into near horizontal pipe. This should have affected the level from the start but - if it is P style - could the slope of the pipe perhaps be on the steep side and be "pulling" the water seal away?

For what it`s worth.... My last workplace added a couple of loo`s to the third floor - with the soil stack coming up the corner of rest rooms on the other floors. They put a Branch just above floor level and then a second one for the first loo and then continued the run to the second loo. The Air Admittance Valve was then fitted to the top-most stub of the first Branch and at the height of the close-coupled cistern. I realised what it was but I guess most fellow staff just thought it was a cap or an end-stop. I don`t recall problems straight away but there were flushing issues and I recall someone on the maintenance side saying a decorator had painted where he shouldn`t and they`d had to replace that valve.... I don`t know the specifics but it certainly flushed okay after that. Good Luck, EyeTry

Hazzbo
Labourer
Labourer

by Hazzbo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:03 am

Thanks for the replies... they must have scared the loo because it's fixed itself??? No funny smells and no other problems with second toilet.

Fingers crossed. Cheers...

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:11 pm