Noisy Cooker and Hood Fans Causing Humming Noice in Neighbouring Flat
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tom.ejz
Labourer
Labourer

Noisy Cooker and Hood Fans Causing Humming Noice in Neighbouring Flat

by tom.ejz » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:58 pm

Hi Everyone

I have just purchased a new flat and I have discovered a problem with the kitchen. I would therefore be very grateful indeed for any advice as to how to solve this problem.

The cooker and hood fans are very loud and noisy. Unfortunately, they have been installed right against the party wall of my neighbour's flat and he has complained to me that when they are switched on, it causes a very unpleasant vibration and hum in his flat. I have visited his flat and have found out that this is indeed true. For him, it is as if a sonic warfare device has been attached to his flat. I have therefore decided not to use the cooker and hood for now and just cook my food in my microwave oven.

I should explain that the person I purchased my Flat from did a refurbishment just before selling it so this is a new problem for my neighbour and myself.

I should also explain that I know next to nothing about the building and refurbishment trades.

It seems to me that my options are as follows:

1. Replace the appliances with much quieter appliances. Does anyone on this forum know which company produces the quietest cookers and hoods?

2. Get someone to reinstall the cooker and hood with some sort of soundproofing. Would this be possible? Does anyone know how this could be done?

3. Replace the existing wall-mounted hood with a ceiling-mounted hood.

4. Reconstruct the whole kitchen so that the cooker and hood are on the opposite wall of the kitchen to the party wall with my neighbour. I am prepared to do this if it is the only way to solve my neighbour's problem.

I would be very grateful indeed for any advice on the best way to solve this problem.

Thank you very much.

busy33
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Noisy Cooker and Hood Fans Causing Humming Noice in Neighbouring Flat

by busy33 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:49 pm

Hi,

I would probably get someone in to check that it has been installed properly before changing the appliances. Maybe it's to do with the way that the appliances have been fitted that is causing the problem.

Hope that helps

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:27 am