All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dave R
Labourer
Labourer

Noisy pipes

Post by Dave R » Wed May 26, 2010 6:39 pm

We've got a problem with noisy pipes.When the hot & cold water taps,
mainly the bathroom ones, are turned on the noise is really loud in the tank.It sounds just like someone is playing one constant note on a trombone,very deep & continuous.After quite a while it fades away.Could it be the valve on the ball cock that needs replacing,although the water flows through it OK.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
Dave

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu May 27, 2010 3:16 pm

Yes renew ball valve, you could try overhauling/change washer etc - but for the price of them i'd just renew it.

htg

Dave R
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Dave R » Thu May 27, 2010 6:20 pm

Thanks very much.I'll try that & let you know how I get on.
Dave

Dave R
Labourer
Labourer

Noisy pipes again!

Post by Dave R » Fri May 28, 2010 7:16 pm

Can you explain this please.When there is only one tap running ,which was the hot water one in the kitchen downstairs we still get the noise upstairs by the header tank.This also happens when the hot & cold taps run together.So my point is if I replace the valve in the header tank how will this solve the problem of the noise happening again when the hot tap is running.I'd be very grateful if you would help me solve it.
Thanks
Dave

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dave From Leeds » Fri May 28, 2010 11:45 pm

When you open a hot tap, water is fed to it from the hot water cylinder. At the same time the cylinder is kept full with cold water from the header tank. This will happen wherever the hot tap is situated. The noise you are getting is due to vibration in the ball valve which opens to replenish the header tank.

If it happens when a cold tap is opened on its own in the bathroom, this means that those cold taps are fed directly from the header tank. The chances are that you won't get the noise if you open only the kitchen sink cold tap. This one should be fed directly by mains water.

If the noise doesn't occur with any cold tap on its own, then they are all fed from the mains supply in the same way as the kitchen cold tap. Mine are.

Hope that lot makes sense.

Dave R
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Dave R » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:12 pm

Thanks Dave, I'll let you know how I get on.

Dave R

jopedder
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jopedder » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:14 pm

Daves,

I think I have the same problem - could this happen intermittently - there seems to be no pattern to my noise. (I'm also sure it has happened when no water was in use) Also, the noise is VERY loud - cieiling shakes. The last time it occured we worked out the loudest area of the house was the loft - so could be from the header tank.

If it is the header tank ball then it may only occur when filling at a certain rate, so if I turn on all the hot taps, flush the upstair loo and all the cold upstairs taps I may be able to recreate it and confim the location of the noise?

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dave From Leeds » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:43 pm

Jo,

If your noise is intermittent, it may be due to variation in your mains water pressure causing the ball valve to vibrate at some times but not others. Next time it happens, open your kitchen cold water tap & check if it has any effect on the noise.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:54 pm