Noisy pipes
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
finman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Noisy pipes

Post by finman » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:34 pm

I have a baxi bermuda fire with back boiler.When i have just the hot water on,when the hot water is going from back boiler to hot water tank in loft the pipes make a horrible hammering noise.This does not happen when water and heating is on.I have recently had water system drained while fitting new bathroom suite.Could i have air in system.

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

Post by marrtin » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:22 pm

It could be an airlock, or something else. Either way, it sounds as if the water is boiling. This could be dangerous and needs sorting immediately.

finman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by finman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:24 am

If this is an air lock how do i sort it? I dont have any spluttering at taps

finman
Apprentice
Apprentice

noisy pipes

Post by finman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:41 pm

If it is air lock how do i sort it? I dont have any spluttering at taps

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:46 pm

This is quite common on the baxi bermuda back boilers. Have heard it and it can become quite loud. It's just kettling, and maybe a design fault on the heat exchanger, as I say it does get bad - and i've never heard it on any other back boiler unit.

It's just the limescale in the back boiler and pipework, as the water is struggling to get away from the boiler, it bangs and unclipped pipework will meake it seem worse. This is reduced when the heating is on as the pump takes away the excess heat.

When they fitted the new bathroom they wouldn't have drained the heating unless the radiator was moved or changed. Has it only started since the bathroom was changed ?

finman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by finman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:01 pm

Yes it has been doing this since bathroom was done. We did change radiator to a ladder type so heating was drained off.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:06 am