All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
davesangel
Labourer
Labourer

noisy pipes when i run the hot tap on the bath

by davesangel » Fri May 23, 2008 8:22 pm

please help as going insane!!
I love my daily baths but just lately everytime i run the hot tap in the bath it makes a really bad and really loud continuous noise from the pipes. Not sure where abouts the sound is coming from but it sounds like its coming from the pipes behind the bathroom wall, but i could be wrong.
im sure my neighbours could hear it and It sounds like something is going to explode at any minute!!
The strange this is if you turn the cold tap on in the bath it stops, but the minute you turn it back off the noise starts again.
The noise lasts for about 10-15 mins before stopping.
I dont know if its relevant but every now and again the pressure disappears from that same hot tap and i have to blow into the pipe in the attic that goes into the tank to get the pressure back up (plumber told me to do that for now.)
I think the boiler is about 30years old and probably in need of replacing but cant afford that at the moment.

And the finale is when i turn the hot tap on in this house it turns the heating on upstairs as well.

this is a challenge for you but i hope you can help me.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat May 24, 2008 9:00 am

I'm 95% sure your ball valve on the cold water storage tank is duff.

No point in trying to repair it - cheaper to replace it completely.

Cheers

davesangel
Labourer
Labourer

by davesangel » Sat May 24, 2008 6:57 pm

thanks for that but would that cure the whole lot or just part of it.
and if only a part, which part?

:lol:

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat May 24, 2008 9:37 pm

As rosebery says.

Blowing down the pipe will clear the airlock, an airlock will occur when the water is leaving the tank quicker than it is filling. The ball valve is probably not opening fully so the flow rate will be reduced - and will also cause the noise you're describing

New ball valve should solve all.

htg

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:05 pm