Noisy radiator TRV
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
swansojb
Labourer
Labourer

Noisy radiator TRV

by swansojb » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:32 am

I have a TRV that has started to vibrate and cause a noise just as the room temperature reaches the setting. When I turn the thermostat, either off or on it stops. When I turn the thermostat from 5 down, when it reaches room temperature there is a loud clunk and vibration until it is turned completely off. There is no noise, when turning from 0 to 5. If the CH is off, or I completely close the exit valve the operation is smooth with no noise at all, so it only occurs when there is water flow through the valve. Checked for an air lock using bleed valve and it is OK. Whole radiator is hot when water flowing. Funnily a similar problem started about a couple of week ago at my parent's house. Grateful for any advice you can give.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:18 pm

swansojb,
Either the valve is one intended for one-way flow and its been fitted on the wrong end of the radiator or it's a 2-way valve and the spring loading if the centre pin has failed. Either way you will need to replace the valve.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1