Noisy Vaillant
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
c928jon
Labourer
Labourer

Noisy Vaillant

by c928jon » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:19 am

Hi

My Vaillant Turbomax 828E is making some very strange noises, before anything else, I'm happy to do work on the "wet" bit of heating but would ONLY use a Corgi engineer for the Gas/burner part. I'm just after some pointers to assist myself and the prospective engineer if it doesnt turn out to be simple.

The boiler is absolutley fine on hot water and when heating is warm, however when it is warming up it makes a noise that can best be desribed as snoring.

You can hear the gas valve open as part of the modulating sequence, the burner roars then subsides, i'm pretty sure it supposed to do this. When it is roaring, (max burn?) there is a vibration noise that almost sounds like air being drawn in. This noise cycles with the modulating burner, on for 5seconds off for 9 and it dies away slowly in between.

Things i've checked. Flue termination and connections, all open and clear, radiators bled and bled and bled, pressure ok and all rads doing what they should, expansion tank pressure ok, boiler drained and flushed, boiler pump bled, boiler auto vent removed cleaned and checked.

The boiler was moved 2 years ago by a corgi engineer who is now retired, after a phone call he confirms that gas pressures were checked at this time and the only modification was shortening the vertical exit flue by 12 inches.

As a potential red herring, the gas supply main in our area is being renewed at the moment.

Gas supply pipe is 3m from the meter, 22mm with a 10cm 15mm tail, also feeding gas hob. Flue is 1.2m long with a top hat.

Anyone got ant ideas? Is this kettling? It seems too regular for that?

Thanks John

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:17 am

Hi,

My gut feeling is the gas valve solenoid,get your RGI to confirm?

Hth

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:36 pm

You need an RGI - the noise could be many things.

Htg

c928jon
Labourer
Labourer

by c928jon » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:29 pm

Agreed, anyone know a short friendly RGI in the Coventry area, ohh and slim too cos they wont thank me when the see where it is! !00% safe and accesable though :lol:

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1