All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alrodgers
Labourer
Labourer

Non-plastic toilet seat nuts

by alrodgers » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:37 am

Hi...

I have one of those wooden toilet seats that every DIY store sells these days, and the plastic nuts which hold it in place have broken (as they always seem to after a while). In my previous house I managed to get some metal replacements from my local B&Q, but I can't find any now (not even online so far).

Does anyone have a suggestion where I might get some - or if not, what size nut I would need if I chose to use a large washer and a standard nut?

any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks

Al.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:16 pm

alrodgers,
The most likely size is M6 which you should be able to get from any car spares shop, if these don't fit but look about the right size your seat may be so old that it has whitworth threads, again the car spares place may be able to supply you with some 1/4w nuts.
end

C23kW
Apprentice
Apprentice

by C23kW » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:00 pm

ano this sounds funny....but am not trying to be but jst buy a new seat, you may spend more time looking for a replacement and the use of your time etc wouldnt be worth it..?

Regards

C23kW

alrodgers
Labourer
Labourer

by alrodgers » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:00 am

Thanks for these replies - the seat is new (2 years)... and I'm reluctant to replace the whole seat because the plastic nuts always seem to fail after about a year...

Stelf
Tradesman
Tradesman

Toilet seat nuts

by Stelf » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:26 pm

It may be that you are over tightening the plastic nuts if they break so quickly. You should fit them with a rubber washer and a plastic washer, rubber one to fit against the pan and the plastic one next to the securing nut as you will not be able to tighten the seat effectively otherwise. There is no need to overtighten the nuts if secured in this manner. Hope this helps.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:28 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:01 pm