Non-standard construction - rebuilding sun room and kitchen
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
emmastace
Labourer
Labourer

Non-standard construction - rebuilding sun room and kitchen

by emmastace » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:02 am

I have a 1940's attached bungalow built from brick (with cavity insulation) that has been pebbledashed. The roof is composite tiles and it is on raft foundations. A sunroom extension was added off the kitchen at some point and this now needs replacing. While doing the replacement of the sunroom would I be able to remove the wall between the kitchen and the sunroom to effectively triple the size of the kitchen while staying within the existing footprint?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Non-standard construction - rebuilding sun room and kitchen

by welsh brickie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:24 pm

only if the roof is constructed in the normal fashion and insulated, if its a conservatory type roof the heat loss is too great and you will need doors to separate the sunroom,
Any alteration will need building control approval though

emmastace
Labourer
Labourer

by emmastace » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:00 pm

Thank you. I don't mind putting a proper roof on the converted sunroom part, but would this then be too heavy for the existing raft foundation?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:33 pm

[quote="emmastace"]Thank you. I don't mind putting a proper roof on the converted sunroom part, but would this then be too heavy for the existing raft foundation?[/quote]
the only way is to have a structural engineer to check for you, and then contact building control and submit plans for approval, which you will need to do anyway for your alteration

ruben93watson
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ruben93watson » Tue May 06, 2014 1:52 pm

That's absolutely right. We did the same thing last year when we wanted to add an extension.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:02 am