DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Not sure if there's roof insulation causing cold room in house

Postby tmcb1234 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:13 am

Hi,

We've noticed our lounge, in our new build, to be particularly cold room of the house. The ceiling of the lounge partly is underneath the upstairs bedroom and partly by a roof (about half and half). Using a temperature gun I notice between a 5 and 10C temp difference between the ceiling which is under the bedroom and that under the roof.

The roof itself is smallish in height and has no access/loft hatch to easily look up there. I have tried looking through plasterboard gap where light fitting is but very difficult. Any tips to check and see how I can check if they have insulated up there (and if so what insulation to expect in that small roof)?

Pictures attached for clarification.
Attachments
IMG_0899.jpg
Roof
IMG_0900.jpg
Side profile
tmcb1234
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:29 pm

Hi tmcb1234
Can only suggest that you cut a large hole in the ceiling plasterboard between joists - assuming that you have a ceiling as opposed to the underneath of the sloping roof.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!