Not sure if this is only condensation
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
manager
Labourer
Labourer

Not sure if this is only condensation

by manager » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi, just joined here as the amount of reading is riveting. Think I live a narrow life :shock:

However, I live in a ground floor flat, about 30 yrs old. Centrally heated. Double glazed. Bedroom seems damp. Outside wall faces South, 2 are inside walls, the other former outside wall has a conservatory the other side of it.

A month or so after moving in I moved a cardboard box which was on the bedroom floor (carpet)near the outside wall and was amazed that the bottom was very damp. Started looking at other things:- head of bed was against the wall (with conservatory the other side) divan base felt damp. Bottom of nearest bed drawer also felt damp, garments feeling bit sticky with musty smell. Bottom drawer of chest of drawers felt damp, although chest on little legs. Sometimes the skirting and lower part of the(outside) wall is actually wet to touch. I do open windows, I do have to dry washing indoors in winter, but put it in the kitchen with the door shut.

When South wind blows and it is raining hard, rain comes in the window frame at the top, not the frame itself, above that. Landlord doesn't know where it is getting in. The are no chimneys there.

Have looked outside - damp course seems to have been covered with a sort of concrete ledge, maybe to make the path look neat, some bits of concrete have broken off so I can see the damp course there. Should I nip out after dark and chip some more off??

Mould started to take up residency but I banned it quickly! I haven't seen any of the salts that I have read about on this site. Any suggestions well received. Thank you.

dcmoore
Ganger
Ganger

free advice

by dcmoore » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:45 am

If the ground level has been raised above the damp proof course then this needs to come away as this will cause rising damp. The British Standards are that the dpc must be 6" minimum above outside ground level. You wont always get salts appearing, it depends on how severe the problem is and how long its been going on for.
Is your floor wood or concrete?

manager
Labourer
Labourer

by manager » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:03 pm

Ah now there's a question - I am not 100% sure but I think it is wood.

The ground level is below the dpc BUT this ledge of concrete zips up from the ground level path covering the dpc along most of the outside wall, sort of like a narrow skirting board. I will check the path is in fact at least 6" below the dpc

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am