Oak kitchen wall cupboard fell off again...suggestions?
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Completeamateur
Labourer
Labourer

Oak kitchen wall cupboard fell off again...suggestions?

by Completeamateur » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:31 am

Morning

We have a big issue with a kitchen cabinet and I’d really appreciate any help.

A year or so ago we had a new kitchen installed. The builders were OK on the actual building stuff, but kitchen fitting clearly wasn’t their speciality - one of the wall cupboards fell off a week after they were finished.

They came back out and fixed it but it’s happened again and we need to do something permanent so I’d really appreciate any advice. A few points:

- the cabinet is oak so fairly heavy (we bought the kitchen from Solid Wood Kitchen Cabinets and we’re very pleased with the quality)
- this particular cabinet is on a lath and plaster wall
- the first time it fell, the builder did the whole sucking through the teeth thing “did you do this yourself guv” etc until we reminded him it was his guy. He then remembered that there’s a solid wood lintel behind the cabinet - the wall used to lead into a pantry - and so they screwed it into that instead
- the lintel only extends across the right two-thirds of the cabinet. The left third is onto lath & plaster
- it’s the far left hook that’s gone. I’ve tried to take photos (attached); the hanger inside the cabinet has clearly gone but I can’t quite work out whether the actual wall fixing has torn out or not

So...any ideas? I don’t want to use the builders again (in fact I don’t want to ever see them again!) and in lockdown it’s going to be difficult to get a trader anyway.

Any advice welcome! Thank you
Attachments
kitchen cabinet from the front.jpg
inside left of kitchen cabinet.jpg
kitchen cabinet from left.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Oak kitchen wall cupboard fell off again...suggestions?

by stoneyboy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:59 pm

Hi completeamateur,
It would appear from your pictures that you have a triple cupboard with one wall fixing either end. If this is the case you must fit additional intermediate wall fixing and replace the one that looks like it has fallen apart.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 am