Odd Beams in Loft and how to Insulate Them
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Llaadd
Labourer
Labourer

Odd Beams in Loft and how to Insulate Them

Post by Llaadd » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi, I have tried searching so sorry if this is answered some here else but I couldn't find it.

I have two questions, first in my loft I have small beams which are attached to three of the ceiling beams they are at both ends and don't seem to have any purpose but I may be mistaken, please can anyone tell me what these are for and if it's ok to remove? (See attached picture)
loft beam.jpg

Secondly my upstairs rooms all go into the roof space slightly so they all have a sloped ceiling on one side. I am replacing the insulation in the loft and wanted to know should I put insulation down the sloped part so the full ceiling in the rooms are insulated or do I have to leave this part uninsulated so the attic can breath better?

I hope these questions make sense!

Thank you for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Skid Sprocket
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Odd Beams in Loft and how to Insulate Them

Post by Skid Sprocket » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:31 pm

Is it possible that these small beams have at one time been part of a support platform for holding a water tank?

The slope down to the eaves would be better with an air space under the felt, rather than use glass fibre the airspace in easier to maintain by sliding in a sheet of polystyrene to leave at least a 1ins gap under the felt. (That would be my way of doing it.)

Llaadd
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Odd Beams in Loft and how to Insulate Them

Post by Llaadd » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:22 am

Skid Sprocket wrote:Is it possible that these small beams have at one time been part of a support platform for holding a water tank?

The slope down to the eaves would be better with an air space under the felt, rather than use glass fibre the airspace in easier to maintain by sliding in a sheet of polystyrene to leave at least a 1ins gap under the felt. (That would be my way of doing it.)

This price is nailed to 3 beams in two places at each end of the room so there are 4 of them all together. It's not for the water tanks as I removed them when I moved in....they were sat on top of a platform made of similar prices of wood but definitely not these ones.

I had the same thought with using a sheet of some kind...I was thinking a 70mm sheet insulation but could try polystyrene as a cheaper alternative.

Thanks for you help.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:23 pm