Oil boiler query
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
3stevo
Labourer
Labourer

Oil boiler query

by 3stevo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi all!
I'm new to the forum and was wondering whether anyone could help with a oil fired central heating query. If I leave the water heating control 'on' all day but don't use any water will I still be using oil? Apologies if its a stupid question but I can't quite get my head around why I need to turn it onto a timer? Obviously I understand the central heating side of the circuit. Anyone shed any light for me? The boiler is a worcester heatslave 15/19 and the controller is an acl lifestyle lp522

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:28 pm

3stevo,
If I leave the water heating control 'on' all day but don't use any water will I still be using oil? Yes you will - the boiler will maintain the temperature of the heating circuit.
end

lochs16
Labourer
Labourer

by lochs16 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:55 pm

QUICK ANSWER YES.
AS IN A COMBI BOILER THERE IS A RESERVE TANK [ A FEW LITRES] THIS CAN DO SMALL JOBS FOR A WHILE OR KEEP IT WARM SO IT WILL NOT TAKE SO LONG TO REHEAT. EVEN FROM COLD IT ONLY TAKES A FEW MINUTES TO HOT WATER
SO AS THE WATER STARTS TO COOL AND DROPS TO CERTAIN LEVEL THE BURNER WILL SENSE THIS AND FIRE UP AGAIN TO BRING IT BACK TO THE RIGHT TEMPETURE.
THE USE OF YOUR TIMER ALLOWS YOU TO TIME THE TIMES YOU ACTUALLY NEED IT. [ THIS SAFES FUEL AND MONEY] REMEBER YOU WILL HAVE A ONE HOUR ADVANCE ON TIMER ANYTIME YOU NEED HOT WATER INBETWEEN TIMES.
IF YOU HAVE A EXTERNAL BOILER IN THIS EXTREME COLD WEATHER IT WOULD BE A BENIFIT TO KEEP IT ON ALL THE TIME SO IT WOULD NOT FREEZE......

3stevo
Labourer
Labourer

by 3stevo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:54 am

Many thanks to stoneyboy and lochs for clearing that up for me. Makes sense now!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1