Oil Heating Playing up but hot Water Fine
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
upahill
Labourer
Labourer

Oil Heating Playing up but hot Water Fine

by upahill » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi everyone, before I call the landlord wondered if anyone could help.

We have an oil fired boiler that provides both central heating, and hot water to a tank (with an immersion heater in the tank for when we run out of oil)

At the moment we can use the boiler to heat water up, we simply press hot water on the controller until we get to boost and 20 minutes later the tank is full of water - everything works fine with that - it also works on timer.

Our issue comes with the central heating - it used to work on timer, and we could boost it if we wanted to, or run it on constant mode and just let the thermostat trigger it. None of this works now.

If we switch the heating on, the boiler will fire for a minute or two then cut out. If i pull the lever on the valve above the grunfoss pump that will trigger the boiler for a few minutes but the valve then resets and the boiler goes off. No amount of fiddling will keep the boiler on for more than a few minutes.

We bled the radiators, and I did replace the thermostat to see if that was the problem but neither of those has helped. Any suggestions on what we can try next?

Thanks in advance

upahill
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Oil Heating Playing up but hot Water Fine

by upahill » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:11 pm

Update:
Took the motorised valve body off and the motor does spin when the stat calls for heat. The lever was a little bent and everything is very sloppy inside but the springs return etc. Put it back on and tested again, same problem the boiler fires up for 2 minutes and then cuts out again.

upahill
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Oil Heating Playing up but hot Water Fine

by upahill » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:34 pm

Update:

Took a punt and bought a new 2 port valve head on Amazon for £35. Arrived next day, fitted in 10 mins and so far everything seems to have returned to normal.

I'll class that as a win!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:29 pm