old ceiling
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dr Doolittle
Labourer
Labourer

old ceiling

Post by Dr Doolittle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:04 pm

Gentlemen, I am taking down my old lathe and plaster ceiling and have a 3ft diameter plaster ceiling rose slap bang in the middle. I want to retain this and would appreciate any advice as to taking this down without breaking it.
Any input much appreciated.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:33 pm

Dr Doolittle,

Is there any access from above the ceiling because if so could be helpful,
The way i'd do it would be cut around it before you remove any of the ceiling use a little plaster saw you, this is easier said than done as the lathes in the ceiling will make it difficult. This is why it could be useful to have access from above you can make cut from below but there nature of the ceiling rose's position would suggest electric cable in the area, so that would be a danger. Once you have made cut you will need another pair of hand to stop rose from dropping, you will need to prise it away from ceiling using a chisel or same crowbar.
It's a messy job and you will need to be careful and patient!
Regards
KB

Dr Doolittle
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Dr Doolittle » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:08 am

Thanks kb, there is I think a big bolt retaining this which I can get access to by taking a floor board up, this rose has been cacked up with decades of paint which is probably sticking it to the ceiling which is my main worry. I am bothered that the prising away might break it but it has to come down to get the new plaster board up. You're correct about the electrics and there is also a lead gas pipe leading to it.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:02 pm

You'll find if you can cut away around the ceiling rose and remove it that way with the that part of ceiling still attached, it will be easier to pick away at old plaster. What I was trying to get over to you , was prising the whole peice that you had cut around rather than just the rose it's self. Sorry if not explained well.
KB

Dr Doolittle
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Dr Doolittle » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:09 am

Thanks again will give that a go this weekend.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:33 am

Hi Dr,
The lead gas pipe is prolly from the old days of gas lighting,be careful that it may still be live gas.
Regards

Steve

Dr Doolittle
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Dr Doolittle » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:07 am

Steve am leaving that pipe in situ there are loads of them all generally running around the junction of wall and ceiling, quite clever idea bearing in mind the technology of the time.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:58 am