old consumer unit in shed/garage
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kerryella
Labourer
Labourer

old consumer unit in shed/garage

by kerryella » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:26 pm

hi my name is mark. i have just had my kitchen plastered and a kitchen fitted my next job is to sort out the electrics in my shed that uesd to be the old garage i need to put a new consumer unit in the shed/garage i have fade-out from my consumer unit in my kitchen that the fuze going to the shed/garage is 15A with 2.5mm cable thair has been no problems as yet it is just old 1960s cableing from the consumer unit in the shed not going to it the consumer unit from the kitchen my question is can i put a new garage consumer unit in i no it will be 30to40a main switch put i no for that i will have to be in 6to10mm cable but i do not won't to do that because i have had the kitchen done and the consumer unit in the kitchen is at the back end. if i keep the 15a fuze and 2.5mm cable as that will it work ok. al i am going to run from that is a couple of lights and 2 double socets in the shed/garage? many thanks mark

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:05 pm

I think I understand what you mean...
If you have a 15A fuse with a 2.5mm cable you can put 2 double sockets then a fused connection unit (previously called a fused spur with a 5A fuse in to supply a light wired in 1mm cable.
As this is not a new circuit and the garage is integral with the house it does not require 'part-p' notification to local authority.
regards

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:49 pm