old extractor fan hole in outer wall - help!
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
George74
Labourer
Labourer

old extractor fan hole in outer wall - help!

by George74 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:51 pm

Hi

I've recently had a new kitchen fitted together with a new extractor fan that is not hooked up to the vent on the out side wall (as I later realised). I’m now left with a hole in the inside wall on one side and the old grill on the outside wall the other side, with just a gap between the outer and inner brickwork between the two.

If I leave it as it is that’s asking for trouble right?

Do you recommend blocking it off, since I have a new extractor fan, even though it’s not hooked up to a vent and if so how so I go about doing that?

Is the best course of action to install a grill and is it simply a matter of fixing a grill over the hole or does the hole in the inner wall have to be connected to the vent on the outer wall some how?

Thanks

Hopeless DIY bloke

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:29 am

There should be a sleeve between the outer and inner vent, it's up to you really whether you block it up or just fit a vent, I would probably just fit a vent extra ventilation in the kitchen wont hurt.

htg

George74
Labourer
Labourer

by George74 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:49 pm

It looks like that sleeve was taken out by the cowboys who installed my kitchen but I think they and the grills only cost a couple pounds.

Thanks for your advise

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1