Old Hygena HG913 oven repair
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
brian_mk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Old Hygena HG913 oven repair

by brian_mk » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:31 am

I have an old Hygena HG913 oven.

A few days ago the Temperature Overload Cutout (TOC) attached to the rear of the fan failed open circuit. The oven no longer gets hot even though the fan works and the 'oven on' neon is illuminated.
The oven element itself is fine.

It looks like a rivet that holds one of the spade connectors on the rear of the TOC had become slightly loose. The resulting small electical resistance was enough to cause it to get hot when passing 10A through the 2500W heating element. The heat was enough to distort the TOC body. This allowed the internal contacts to move giving an open circuit.

I am unable to find a parts list for the oven.
The TOC uses a single 4mm stud fixing. These are no longer available (or are hard to find).
Modern replacements have a loose clamp with a pair of fixing holes.
Hence I need to fabricate a fixing plate from a small square piece of aluminium.

The markings on the rear of the TOC are as follows:-
TYPE 261/P
16(3)/250~T130K

I assume this means it's rated at 16A @ 250V.
I have no idea what the '(3)' refers to.
I'm also unsure about the switching temperature.
Does T130K mean it is supposed to switch off @ 130 degC?

I tried heating the TOC with a soldering iron while monitoring the temperature of the body of the device with a digital thermometer. It switched off when the temp reached 110 degC and reset when the temp dropped to 95 degC.
It may be that the switching temperature has drifted with age.

Should I replace the TOC with a 130 degC or 110 degC device?
Attachments
IMG_0467_small.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Old Hygena HG913 oven repair

by Mr White » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:51 am

Often with "white goods" one part interacts with another part in an unexpected way. Without having access to the manufacturers' instruction manual it would not be wise to "guess" therefore the decision and responsibility must be yours.

brian_mk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Old Hygena HG913 oven repair

by brian_mk » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:24 pm

I found someone looking for exactly the same information in another forum.

His post dates back to 2004 and relates to an Electrolux ECD 22 dishwasher but it is the same device:-

ELTH
Type 261

16(3)250
T 130 K

See:-
https://www.electronicspoint.com/forums ... ata.53591/

He reached the conclusion that it should switch off at 130 degC.

However, I am not convinced that T130K is in fact the switching temperature.

A thread in another forum mentions the same device with the same markings ELTH TYPE 261 / P, 16 (3) ~ 250V T130K. BUT it has a separate switching temperature marking on the side and that is not 130degC.

It's in german but google will translate it to English:-
https://forum.electronicwerkstatt.de/ph ... 61%20t130k

I think to be safe I will try and find a TOC with a switching temp that matches the original i.e. 110degC.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:31 pm