Old pebbledash in need of replacing **HELP!**
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dasbo
Labourer
Labourer

Old pebbledash in need of replacing **HELP!**

by Dasbo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:23 pm

Hi people,

I've used this website for a while nwo but this is the first time I've posted as I'm getting a tad desparate.

My problem is, our detached house has pebbledashed exterior walls. Since the house was built over 30 years ago, this has become very drab, bare in parts and a large section has broken off completely, exposing the block work.

I would like to know what the best course of action would be, and I have thought of the following options.

a) Get a contractor to repair the existing pebbledash and coat with one of these "never paint again" products?

b) Remove the pebbledash and replace with a smooth render

c) Remove all the pebble dash and replace with new.

I think I would prefer option B but I dont know if there is a benefit of pebbledash over render (I live on the coast near Aberdeen)? I also think that there would be a large difference in cost.

Any help from anyone who has done anything like this would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Dasbo

raymondo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by raymondo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:29 pm

i would say it depends on the character of your house and whether you wish it to remain in keeping with neighbouring properties, if the are of similar construction. Pebbledash is easier to finish than smooth render as you only need to trowel on the 'butter' coat before casting the aggregate surface.
would you be considering doing this yourself? if so, let me know and i will give you the procedure and mixes needed.

wraithly
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wraithly » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:36 pm

Just Quick post to let u know that living in a costal area is one of the reasons the pebbledashing was done in the first place. Most coastal and highland areas like wales often have an abundance of properties with this finish as it is extremely hard wearing if not the most attractive finish. hope this helps

raymondo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by raymondo » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:48 pm

yes I know, I live on South Coast and there are many properties with this finish, and as a plasterer I get to work on many of them....as well as Regency stucco and mouldings in Brighton.

tims-tool-time
Labourer
Labourer

Pebble Dash or Rough Cast

by tims-tool-time » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:34 pm

I have a 1930's house with painted rough cast exterior walls, the original render was lime based. I do have some patches to repair and want to get as close to the original look as possible.
the area of most problem is a Tudor style gable end build on a wooden stud. so originally it has lath with the wood beams and rough cast between. the laths are rotten and i will strip it right back and treat the timber then need to put some sort of mesh up to render!
Can you help me to go the right way about doing this. i have done several DIY rendering and plastering jobs but just do not know where to start with mixes, stones and work plans. any help would be great fully received

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 am