Old Pitched Roof Insulation Advice Needed for 1930's Property
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

Mrbeatnik
Labourer
Labourer

Old Pitched Roof Insulation Advice Needed for 1930's Property

by Mrbeatnik » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Hi folks, hope you can impart your wisdom on me.

I'm going to get a few quotes for getting work done on insulation of the pitched roof of a purchased old (1936) property (Scotland). The attic has been built into already (properly floored, stairs, etc) but after taking plasterboard off to check we find there are just rafters with no insulation between or on top.!

The roof hasn't had any changes that I can tell - the tiles are all OK, but there are no "vent" tiles that I see on other people's houses (which I assume are related to the type of insulation they have). It seems like 175 - 200mm depth on the rafters (I can't remember off hand).

So questions:

1) Can we insulate without butting out the rafters? i.e. can you use some more expensive thinner between rafter insulation boards/slabs leaving the required 25mm (I think) gap between the roof and the insulation?

2) If the above is possible, will some tiles still need to be replaced with the vent style tiles to allowing "breathing"?

3) If the above is NOT the way to go, what do you suggest is the best course of action (not necessarily the cheapest, but least disruptive and hopefully without having to erect scaffolding etc).

4) Who should we contact for quotes? A builder, or a roofer? Or someone else!?

Ideally I would like to be able to stick in the between rafter boards myself (and not have anyone need to go on the roof to change tiles or membranes etc). Of course I really have no idea on my U values or anything like that! But I definitely don't want to start causing condensation issues, so want to get enough research to understand what people are quoting me for if I do need the professionals in.

As a side note, we are thinking of sticking in a couple of small velux style windows. Anything I should consider in regards to the insulation work? Do the windows first, then the insulation I assume?

Thanks!

It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:13 am