Old Slab is in the line of new fence
Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

ronniesize12
Labourer
Labourer

Old Slab is in the line of new fence

by ronniesize12 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:03 pm

Hello everyone

I am putting up a new fence in my back garden. I have taken down the old fence. This fence was put up between the outside wall of my house and the other end of the fence terminated at a brick wall. The old fence was there before I moved into the property. You could tell this fence had been repaired because when I was taking it down, the fence panels was joined to posts by different methods. The fence posts went either straight into the ground, or into concrete or in a fence spike.

I am just preparing the ground for the new fence. I have purchased concrete gravel boards and concrete post to be installed.

I have come across a major problem. In the line of where the fence should run there is a concrete rectangle. This concrete rectangle has 4 slabs which are 4 inches thick.

The four slabs when put together form a rectangle 35 ½ in * 22in. There is soil in between the slabs. I am not sure how deep it goes. I have started to dig some soil away but I am unsure what I am digging in to.

I know it not really possible for anyone to tell me exactly what this concrete rectangle is, but has anyone got ideals as what it could be.
I shall take a picture tomorrow and attached it.

Nothing is ever simple?

Ron

It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:12 am