old stairs -new bannister and spindles
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andyf
Labourer
Labourer

old stairs -new bannister and spindles

by andyf » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:43 pm

hi i came into this house with no bannister on my staircase 25 years ago now i desire to replace the said item as original i have checked sizes on original landing handrail and spindles and checked with next door neighbour,s
stair rail and have made adjustments for modern regs but i am not sure how i tie the bannister to the top post to the bottom post any suggestions will be much appreciatated thanks all be good and have a good day

:oops:

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:46 am

Usually the rail is mortised (and glued) into the newel posts Andy, but you can cut the angles between the posts, sit it in position and secretely screw it from the underside into the post. The rail is put on before the spindles so you have pleanty of room and the screw head is countersunk into the rail so it is not an obstruction to the spindle spacers. It is also possible to screw into the rail through the back of the newel posts but first you need to drill something like a 10mm hole into the post, finishing 35mm short of going right through. You then screw into the rail, through this hole and when the screw is in place, glue a dowel into the hole and cut off flush with the face of the post. You need some extra long drill bits to do it this way but it is a stronger method. Similarly you can drill through the top of the rail into the post and then plug the hole with a glued dowel or plug. When sanded and painted or varnished, the plugs can be barely visible.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:17 am