On and off hot water in shower, scolding hot, then freezing
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
aliceh
Labourer
Labourer

On and off hot water in shower, scolding hot, then freezing

by aliceh » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:20 am

Hi
I just turned my heating on (have combi boiler, not sure of make think Triton, less than 5 years old). Now, when I have a shower the water runs very hot, then cold, on and off. The temp gauge on the boiler seems to shoot up, then the gas cuts off. Heating works ok, but if I've had the hot water and heating setting on all day, it registers the temp of the radiators as high, even when they are cold and won't heat them up, unitl I turn setting back to just radiators and then it fires up.

I called a plumber and he said it might actually be the shower mixer tap that has a problem with it, not the boiler. Bit confused. Any ideas what I could do to decide if I need a mixer tap fixer or a boiler fixer....

A

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

hi

by AdamsHeating » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:31 pm

Does this happen will all of your hot taps that draw from the boiler or just the shower and is the shower a thermostatic mixer shower??

What is the exact make and model of the boiler?

AH.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:02 pm

When the temperature gauge shoots up, does the PRV open ? Could be a faulty pressure vessel.

The hot water problem sounds like it could be a blocked plate heat-ex.

Htg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:47 pm