One Aerial for Both Digital TV and DAB Radio?
Find answers to popular questions or post your own regarding any aspect of home entertainment

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rmdr2
Labourer
Labourer

One Aerial for Both Digital TV and DAB Radio?

by rmdr2 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:46 pm

All

I'm about to rewire my house for AV infrastructure. That's about 5 or 6 rooms for which I intend to install co-axial cable sockets for both TV and DAB radio (i.e. two ports per room). I'm looking for advice to avoid unnecessary cabling...

(i) Can I get away with one (good) aerial that feeds into an amplifier from which both digital TV and DAB radio could operate? If so, any recommendations on a good aerial/amplifier combo?

(ii) Can I get away with one co-axial cable per room that feeds into a splitter at the port, i.e. into both TV and DAB radio outputs? Or, do I need to run two coaxial cables per room from the amplifier?

Help and advice gratefully received!

rmdr2

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: One Aerial for Both Digital TV and DAB Radio?

by ericmark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:41 am

Not one aerial but could be one feed, in general sky + needs two feeds so normal is to have two cables to the TV plate.

What you have is in the loft a combining box, and in the room a splitting box, so FM, DAB, TV, and saterlite all combine and then split again, there is a unit which will swap frequancies for one saterlite feed and then back again but in the main you have two saterlite feeds.

As one time it was common to have three coax cables to main room one taking the feed out of saterlite box back to loft and then into all rooms so what ever was on the saterlite box you can watch in all rooms, however today tends to all be wireless or LAN not simple coax.

With 14" TV in bedroom the coax worked, but today often a 32" is cheaper than 14" and with the larger TV's you see the degraded TV picture, you don't notice it with 14".

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:07 am