One Ceiling light works, the other isn't wired correctly
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
whufclee
Labourer
Labourer

One Ceiling light works, the other isn't wired correctly

by whufclee » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:12 pm

I have just attempted to put up 2 new light fittings in my lounge but am confused with the wiring. A double dimmer switch at the wall used to turn the lights on but now it will only switch one on as I seem to have forgot how to wire one of my lights. The light which works just had a black, red and earth cable coming from the ceiling however the other one has the following: 2 reds, 1 yellow (with a red sleeve), 1 blue, 1 black and the 2 earths. One of the reds is permanently live and I think the blue is a neutral as it tripped the fusebox when I connected it with the live red one. My light fitting just has the usual brown, blue and earth connections. Any help would be very grateful!

Thanks, Lee

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi Lee,
Could you have a look inside the dimmer switch and explain the configuration of wires, it may make a bit more sense. With infomation given can only make assumption.
Cheers KB

whufclee
Labourer
Labourer

by whufclee » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:57 am

Thanks for the reply, I'm not able to check at the moment but if memory serves me correct the wires behind the dimmer switch are as follows:

There are 2 blacks and a blue conneted together (not in the dimmer switch, just conneted together behind the switch in the wall). There is a red in both connectors on the left switch, one of which also has a wire connected to one of the connectors on the right switch too, the other connector on the right switch has the yellow connected to it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to give.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:12 pm

HI Lee,
If what you posted is correct, try this:
Two reds together (as they are already)
Yellow to Brown wired flex side of light
and Black and Blue to Blue wired flex side of light.
REMEMBER TO SAFELY ISOLATE ANY CIRCUITS BEFORE YOU CARRY OUT ANY WORK
Good Luck
KB

whufclee
Labourer
Labourer

by whufclee » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks for your quick reply but I've just tried that and unfortunately stilll no joy, think there must be a wire loose somewhere. The wires in the dimmer switch were configured as I said so I reckon it might be time to get a proper qualified sparky in!

Cheers

Lee.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:29 am