One light, 2 switches ... cabling question?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Alan Marshall
Labourer
Labourer

One light, 2 switches ... cabling question?

by Alan Marshall » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi, hope you can help me.

Wanting to replace ceiling rose in house where wires are danging from the ceiling in the hall.

One light fitting but two switches, one single switch and the other with 3 switches ... one for the hall, one for landing and one for outside light.

Wires out of hall ceiling ... got 3 red, 3 earth, 2 black, 1 yellow, 1 blue.

Got the ceiling rose with terminals to connect to showing 3 for neutral (flex), 3 loop in, and 2 live (flex).

Can you advise what goes where please ..... Thanks, Alan

marconii
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: One light, 2 switches ... cabling question?

by marconii » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:06 pm

[quote="Alan Marshall"]Hi, hope you can help me.

Wanting to replace ceiling rose in house where wires are danging from the ceiling in the hall.

One light fitting but two switches, one single switch and the other with 3 switches ... one for the hall, one for landing and one for outside light.

Got the ceiling rose with terminals to connect to showing 3 for neutral (flex), 3 loop in, and 2 live (flex).

Can you advise what goes where please ..... Thanks, Alan[/quote]

marconii
Apprentice
Apprentice

by marconii » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:53 pm

[quote="Alan Marshall"]Hi, hope you can help me.

Can you advise what goes where please ..... Thanks, Alan[/quote

hi alan....

im mark.......electrician since 1982..

before i start, im assuming that your hall light may have been inopperative for some time?
also, with respect, is your property an oldish build??....

ok.......this is the way you would normally wire up........

first of all, for safety, go into your board,(fuse box) and switch off the hall lights circuits!!!........BE SAFE.....

depending on how old your board is, it will normally be 6A......SO SWITCH IT OFF...

Having done that, seperate all three cables individually........

ONE/ cable will have 3 wires.........red/black and earth....
ONE/ cable will have the same........red/black and earth...
ONE/ cable will have 4 wires.....yellow/blue/red and earth....

ARE YOU WITH ME SO FAR????........GOOD.....LETS CARRY ON....

for now..forget about the cable with 4 wires...!!!!

that leaves you with 2 cables, each with 3 wires.....yes....

get your plastic rose, secure it to the ceiling with two screws....

feed all 3 cables through it.....strip them all back.....(PUT THE 4 CABLE TO ONE SIDE FOR NOW....)

working with the two cables(2 core and earth) that have 3 wires....do the following..
put one of the red wires into the centre (thats a live)...and then put another red next to it, all in the centre..
with your black wires ...put one in your (N)..terminal......and te other black next to it...in the same terminal block.......

so....to recap....what we have at this stage is a FEED IN....and a FEED OUT... but no switch at this point..for you hall.....so lets go on...

Now, normally...at this point, i would run a two core and earth from the rose to the first switch......referred to as a MASTER.... and thereafter, from the master switch, i would run a three core and earth from the switch to the second switch...enabling two way switching.....

seems perculiar to me that you have three core and earth at the rose alredy....!!

SO.......SNIP THE YELLOW BACK........WE WONT USE IT....

Put the RED.....into the middle, with the other two reds....
Now, put the BLUE...into the remaining terminal.......when you have done that, remember to put a bit of red tape around it.....it tells anyone at a later date, that it is LIVE!!!

NOW TO TH SWITCH...... open both switches up......at one switch you will see the yellow.....at the other you will not see the yellow......ok..?

go to the switch with the yellow showing......dismantle ALL the wires from it.......snip the yellow back....you will not require it....

your blue, is now your live, tape it with red tape, put it into the COMMON terminal..the red into L1.......

NOW...at this point...you will have to run a three core and earth from the switch your on, to the switch you have not worked on so far.....

you may have to bury the cable behind your wall (stud wall)..or chase it in to your existing wall........hence me asking earlier how old your house was/is..

once youve done that, it just a case of wiring your switch up.....let me know when you get that far......

hope this helps you.....ive made it clearer than usual. in order for you not to get mixed up.

mark webber

Alan Marshall
Labourer
Labourer

by Alan Marshall » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:25 pm

MARK THAT IS FANTASTIC, THANK YOU FOR YOUR VERY CLEAR AND PROFESSIONAL ADVICE

I HAVE MADE COMMENTS BELOW WITHIN YOUR NOTE IN UPPER CASE SO YOU CAN SEE WHAT I HAVE DONE.

[quote="marconii"][quote="Alan Marshall"]Hi, hope you can help me.

Can you advise what goes where please ..... Thanks, Alan[/quote

hi alan....

im mark.......electrician since 1982..

before i start, im assuming that your hall light may have been inopperative for some time?
NO ... OPERATED NORMALLY UNTIL RECENTLY WITH FIXED LIGHT FITTING. LIGHT FITTING REMOVED BUT UNSURE HOW TO REPLACE WITH NEW ROSE

also, with respect, is your property an oldish build??....
14 YEARS OLD, CIRCUIT BREAKER SO ISOLATING EACH TIME I TRY TO RESOLVE
ok.......this is the way you would normally wire up........

first of all, for safety, go into your board,(fuse box) and switch off the hall lights circuits!!!........BE SAFE.....
YEP DONE THIS EACH TIME

depending on how old your board is, it will normally be 6A......SO SWITCH IT OFF...
DONE AS ABOVE

Having done that, seperate all three cables individually........

ONE/ cable will have 3 wires.........red/black and earth....
ONE/ cable will have the same........red/black and earth...
ONE/ cable will have 4 wires.....yellow/blue/red and earth....

ARE YOU WITH ME SO FAR????........GOOD.....LETS CARRY ON....
YES

for now..forget about the cable with 4 wires...!!!!

that leaves you with 2 cables, each with 3 wires.....yes....

get your plastic rose, secure it to the ceiling with two screws....
DONE

feed all 3 cables through it.....strip them all back.....(PUT THE 4 CABLE TO ONE SIDE FOR NOW....)

working with the two cables(2 core and earth) that have 3 wires....do the following..
put one of the red wires into the centre (thats a live)...and then put another red next to it, all in the centre..
with your black wires ...put one in your (N)..terminal......and te other black next to it...in the same terminal block.......

so....to recap....what we have at this stage is a FEED IN....and a FEED OUT... but no switch at this point..for you hall.....so lets go on...
DONE ALL THAT

THIS IS WHERE I START TO GET CONFUSED
SWITCHES ARE UNTOUCHED AND WORKED NORMALLY BEFORE SO I DONT WANT TO DISTURB THEM AND HAVE NOT
Now, normally...at this point, i would run a two core and earth from the rose to the first switch......referred to as a MASTER.... and thereafter, from the master switch, i would run a three core and earth from the switch to the second switch...enabling two way switching.....

seems perculiar to me that you have three core and earth at the rose alredy....!!

SO.......SNIP THE YELLOW BACK........WE WONT USE IT....

DONT WANT TO DO THIS AS IT WAS OPERATING PERFECTLY BEFORE THE OLD LIGHT FITTING WAS REMOVED

Put the RED.....into the middle, with the other two reds....
DONE THIS

Now, put the BLUE...into the remaining terminal.......when you have done that, remember to put a bit of red tape around it.....it tells anyone at a later date, that it is LIVE!!!
HAVE GOT BLUE IN CENTRE AND YELLOW GOING TO FLEX AND IT WORKS NORMALLY NOW!

JUST WANT YOU TO TELL ME IF I HAVE DONE SOMETHING STUPID WITH BLUE TO CENTRE AND YELLOW TO FLEX?

DONT WANT TO TOUCH SWITCHES AS I THINK THEY ARE OK
NOW TO TH SWITCH...... open both switches up......at one switch you will see the yellow.....at the other you will not see the yellow......ok..?

go to the switch with the yellow showing......dismantle ALL the wires from it.......snip the yellow back....you will not require it....

your blue, is now your live, tape it with red tape, put it into the COMMON terminal..the red into L1.......

NOW...at this point...you will have to run a three core and earth from the switch your on, to the switch you have not worked on so far.....

you may have to bury the cable behind your wall (stud wall)..or chase it in to your existing wall........hence me asking earlier how old your house was/is..

once youve done that, it just a case of wiring your switch up.....let me know when you get that far......

hope this helps you.....ive made it clearer than usual. in order for you not to get mixed up.

mark webber[/quote]

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:47 pm