One pipe or two?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Onepipe
Labourer
Labourer

One pipe or two?

by Onepipe » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:00 pm

British Gas installed a new Worcester Junior 28i combi boiler last year and I have been told this is 'top of the range'.

I was hoping and expecting that this would cure the almost constant knocking coming from I don't know where in the system whenever the boiler is on, but this has not been the case. Even if I wanted to I could not leave the boiler on 24/7 as it would keep me awake.

When I questioned British Gas about this they said it was because I have a 'one pipe system', which didn't mean anything at all to me. They told me the knocking problem would be cured and the system would be even more efficient if I had a 'two pipe system' but on top of the very large amount I was already paying them, they wanted another £1000 to convert my system. I could not afford it at the time so left it at that.

Is it worthwhile having this conversion done and will it definitely stop the knocking problem? Also can it be done at a more reasonable cost?
Thanks for any help or advice.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:47 pm

It is worth having it upgraded to a two pipe system - in my opinion. But you may still get the noise as it probably just normal expansion of the pipework.

Get a few quotes as BG are the most expensive.

htg

simon@hwch
Apprentice
Apprentice

by simon@hwch » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:41 pm

One pipe systems are slightly less efficient but the knocking noise does not warrant a complete repipe.

Buildings fitted with one pipe systems do not knock as part of the design, two pipe systems can be noisy too.

A more reasonable cost than what?

Onepipe
Labourer
Labourer

by Onepipe » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:33 am

More reasonable than the £1000 British Gas wanted.

But if as both respondents say the knocking won't necessarily go away it looks like I may as well save my money and live with it.
Thanks anyway for the replies.

plumberathome
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: One pipe or two?

by plumberathome » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:22 pm

[quote="Onepipe"]British Gas installed a new Worcester Junior 28i combi boiler last year and I have been told this is 'top of the range'.

I was hoping and expecting that this would cure the almost constant knocking coming from I don't know where in the system whenever the boiler is on, but this has not been the case. Even if I wanted to I could not leave the boiler on 24/7 as it would keep me awake.

When I questioned British Gas about this they said it was because I have a 'one pipe system', which didn't mean anything at all to me. They told me the knocking problem would be cured and the system would be even more efficient if I had a 'two pipe system' but on top of the very large amount I was already paying them, they wanted another £1000 to convert my system. I could not afford it at the time so left it at that.

Is it worthwhile having this conversion done and will it definitely stop the knocking problem? Also can it be done at a more reasonable cost?
Thanks for any help or advice.[/quote]Have you got thermostatic valves fitted if you have then these can cause a knocking sound when they become worn or old it sounds like a knocking or clattering noise. Steve

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1