One pump or two?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Stevebeanie
Labourer
Labourer

One pump or two?

by Stevebeanie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:20 am

I have a 25/30 year old CH system that I am currently planning to upgrade. The downstairs and upstairs systems are completely independent and use separate gas fired Glow Worm Spacesaver boilers. The boiler upstairs in the bathroom also heats the hot water in a large cylinder I replaced last year also connected to solar panels on the roof that provided most of our hot water last summer.

I am planning to replace the upstairs bolier with something like a conventional Worcester Bosch 40 CDI and then link the upstairs and downstairs heating using 3 separate zones (2 upstairs, 1 downstairs).

My question is whether one Grundfos 15/60 pump will be able to cope with both downstairs heating (8 rads and about 30 mtrs pipe run) and upstairs with two zones with 6 rads and 15 mtrs pipe run in each. I will obviously have two pefectly usable pumps (1 x 15/50 and 1 x 15/60) and wondered whether there is a way of fitting both in the new system.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:06 pm

Stevebeanie,
The 15-60 should be fine on its own. I fitted one of these on a 24 radiator system (2 zones) fed with 1.5" pipes and it worked well on the lowest setting. Keep the 15-50 for emergencies.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1