DIY Doctor

Main navigation


Postby youcandoit » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi Guys
we are thinking of buying an older house which it seems has an "OPEN LOFT" that is to say no party wall in the apex,
Can i just go ahead and brick it up without consultation with neighbour and local council or any other official body for that matter ????????
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:53 pm


Loft Light attic lighting products

Postby Gypsy07 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:28 am

Even if you ARE allowed to, in the interests of good neighbour relations it would be a good idea not to just go ahead without first consulting the other people involved. If my neighbours did something like that in my open loft without asking me first, I'd be pretty angry. Not at the actual alterations, but at the lack of consideration.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:38 am

Postby welsh brickie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:06 pm

i would inform the neighbour,But the wall is definatly needed incase of fire the building control would recommend you install fireproof quilt where the wall meets the tiles and point the brickwork to make sure there is no gaps
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics