All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jamest
Labourer
Labourer

Open vented heating system

by Jamest » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:28 am

Hi All,

Could anyone tell me if i need to drain an open vented system to replace a radiator valve?
I tried freezing the pipes but with no luck as the amount of pipe i'm able to get to coming from the floor is not enough. :cry:

Many thanks in advance

James

dcc
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dcc » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:31 pm

aye youl have too drain down the system to replace it.

when you tried freezing it, was the pump, boiler ect off? because its impossible to freeze water when its moving

Jamest
Labourer
Labourer

Open vented

by Jamest » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply i was afraid of that.
Yeah all was turned off no heat and no pump on, the problem with it is the pipework only shows by about a inc and half so not enogh to freeze.

Many thanks

James

muttley
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Open vented heating system

by muttley » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:47 pm

[quote="Jamest"]Hi All,

Could anyone tell me if i need to drain an open vented system to replace a radiator valve?
I tried freezing the pipes but with no luck as the amount of pipe i'm able to get to coming from the floor is not enough. :cry:

Many thanks in advance

James[/quote] You could bung the F&E tank.No need to drain then,you might get a small weep but you should be able to handle it :wink:

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:03 pm

[quote]You could bung the F&E tank.No need to drain then,you might get a small weep but you should be able to handle it[\quote]

wouldn't you have to bung the expansion pipe as well muttley? otherwise air will get into the system and it will drain, gushing out when the valve is removed

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:24 am