Opinions of Web Sites Offering Good Tradesmen?
Tips, tricks and information on how to spot rogue and cowboy builders and also a platform for you to post and warn others of cowboy builders you may have encountered and help to spread the word of their dodgy dealings

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Opinions of Web Sites Offering Good Tradesmen?

by ericmark » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:50 am

I have looked for tradesmen now I am getting older and less able to do work myself. I know electricians and plumbers have to be members of schemes to be able to sign off work, So not talking about GasSafe or ELECSA and the like they have to join them.

But it seems Trusted Trades Man sites under many names seem to be the reverse of what they claim. Good electricians have no need to join these sites they get enough work by word of mouth and simple web site. Only the chancers need to have some one get the work for them, no one will recommend them so they need to join these trusted tradesman sites to get work.

So I have learnt to avoid any tradesmen who are members of a trusted tradesmen site. Is this just me or does every one find the same?

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Opinions of Web Sites Offering Good Tradesmen?

by lets have a look » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:48 am

That's not fair,they have to start somewhere,I don't understand why customers don't ask to see their qualifications,I always take mine

jamesrickman
Labourer
Labourer

by jamesrickman » Fri May 20, 2016 11:42 am

Hi,

I really cant find a decent builder, I am in the Exeter area! Its like there impossible to find, I also recently tried using an interior design consultation from B&Q from and they are the worst! Completely unhelpful, drives me mad.

AdamADN
Labourer
Labourer

by AdamADN » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:52 am

I am a builder and I find that it is difficult to gain trust from my future customers.
At least with these sites you can choose who you would like to do the job and always ask for jobs done in the past. Mybe see if you can speak to someone that have used the builder your thinking of using before. I have permission from my past clients to do this and it helps when I have unsure customers, just for piece of mind really.

Adam

NathalieMartin
Apprentice
Apprentice

by NathalieMartin » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:41 am

Has anyone ever used rated people? I'm looking to renovate in the future, have had one or two bad experiences with cowboy builders! Nothing major, but one or two shoddy plastering jobs and misaligned tiles.

Like you have said, the best workmen get heard of through word of mouth - but they're usually so busy!

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

by diydoctor6 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:19 am

This is a great topic, and one that is always a problem, if you cannot get a personal recommendation of a good local tradesman. We, at DIY Doctor, recommend using Checkatrade or Trust Mark. On balance we have settled with Checkatrade as they are much more proactive, particularly on behalf of the trademan. See more details here: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find-tradesmen/

There is another issue which is often over looked, and 'AdamADN' and 'lets have a look' touch on it a bit. The consumer can be so cavalier about the most valuable asset they are ever likely to own, their home. The standard checks that we take for granted (qualifications, experience, etc) are the norm for any employee in the workplace, but these go out the window when inviting a tradesman in to work on their homes. They are employed so should have the same checks, if not more!

We have tried working with Rated People some years ago now, and our experience was not great, but things have changed a lot since then.

"That's not fair,they have to start somewhere" is an admirable sentiment, but I'd prefer a novice to cut their teeth on someone else's home; I don't want them in mine. Rated People take anyone, novices and the lot, but you have had to have been trading successfully for at least a year (they check trading standards and references, etc).

It sounds harsh, and I know that everyone deserves a start, but there's where these guys have to use their contacts - get through that first year and then they can start on customers from the web that they don't know from Adam.

pjohnson1970
Apprentice
Apprentice

by pjohnson1970 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:45 pm

Understand this is a late reply as I am only a new comer to DIY Doctor, but I would always seek the qualifications of the tradesman before hand.

steve2018
Labourer
Labourer

by steve2018 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:19 pm

Personally, i wish I had used sites like Checkatrade before a guttering job went wrong. Sites with traders and reviews work best to find a suitable tradesman.

My questions going forward will always include wanting to know their background and previous work.

Helps to listen to good recommendations from friends but i would if I was you, make use of tradesmen sites where you can check their background.

I hired a handyman by posting my guttering requirements to https://www.myjobquote.co.uk/.
Badly misaligned guttering caused me a lot of issues and it helped to find a local tradesman used by other folks locally too.
I'd make use of the sites, that's my opinion.

WilliamNeat
Labourer
Labourer

by WilliamNeat » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:42 am

myjobquotes is actually a good site for finding reliable workers is there was something similar in the USA?

Shem KSW
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Shem KSW » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:54 pm

The way I see it and it is just my opinion is this. All these independent sites charge to list a tradesman. If your a busy builder you don't need to pay out for these 3rd party adverts.

try asking people who they use, ask for references, go to see previous jobs. Do they have a website with a portfolio etc?

Finally if they can do the job for you the day after you ask they clearly don't have much of a waiting list which will either be a sign that they are new to it, (not a bad thing and everyone has to start somewhere), or they could just not be very good!

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:53 am