Our parquet flooring is lifting up - what's the cause/fix?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
WJBL
Labourer
Labourer

Our parquet flooring is lifting up - what's the cause/fix?

by WJBL » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:03 pm

In short, the parquet flooring in my living room is lifting up in one area. Flooring was in the house when I moved in 10 years ago, and it's always been a bit uneven because the floor itself is. Now some strips are lifting by a couple of mm, creating mini kerbs, and 'giving' and squeaking when you stand on them. I pulled a strip up the other day (each strip is about 7-8 cm long, 2cm wide, arranged in blocks of 5 strips) just to see what's afoot. Anyone know what the likely cause is and what to do about it? I'm hoping I can just buy some special glue and re-stick the strips. Or do I have some chronic damp problem that's gonna be a costly nightmare to fix?! Can anyone out there shed some light? Thanks.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Our parquet flooring is lifting up - what's the cause/fix?

by welsh brickie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:11 am

the problem could be expansion, there should be a gap of 10mm around the floor edge, as the floor heats up it twists and expands causing it to lift.

WJBL
Labourer
Labourer

by WJBL » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks for this. I'll check, but I've got a feeling the flooring was installed properly and that perhaps the glue has just given up. The strip of parquet I pulled up has very little tackiness on the bottom, and pretty much no visible glue residue. In the cavity it came out of, there was maybe 1mm of grey rubbery stuff that I'm guessing was the glue, all left behind on the floor, with none of it actually on the parquet strip. Don't know if that's a clue?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:31 pm

I was just guessing at the cause it could well be the adhesive has failed but without visual verification I cannot give an accurate diagnosis

Raymond Peters
Labourer
Labourer

by Raymond Peters » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:09 am

You may try out flexyfix adhesive, it may help in fixing it...Let me know if it helps....

Thanks,
Raymond Peters

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:42 pm