Outbuilding Regs October 2008 (my garage)
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Outbuilding Regs October 2008 (my garage)

by kbrownie » Thu May 21, 2009 10:44 pm

Hi,
Building Garage at home, it is stand alone so not connected to house.
Been reading new outlines regarding PP and BC.
The build will be within 1 metre of neighbours boundary and the same applies to canal tow path outside my house (nice spot).
So the build will be between 15-30 sq metres, so I'm I right in thinking if the garage is not more than 2.5metres at highest point and built out of block and render with tiled/slated roof, no need for PP or BC to be informed. I will be installing electric but registered full scope sparky, so that's no problem. Not conservation area, national park or listed.
Garage will be set back from house.
My intention is to fit once pitched roof will about 12 degree fall on it to maximize height and other fall so no water settlement.
Does this fit in with regulations.
Thanks for all replies, especially if I've missed something.
Off to climb a mountain, so will be back to see you all once conquest has been claimed.
Hope you all have good Bank Holiday Weekend
KB

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri May 22, 2009 7:46 pm

kbrownie,
I think you need PP - a detached garage does not fall within the new permitted development rights.
Suggest you talk to you local Planning Authority - take a dimensioned drawing with you.
end

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Sun May 24, 2009 10:04 pm

ABOVE ALL, talk to your local planning dept. They have a free advice service, which you are paying for anyway, and are helpful
bd3cc

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon May 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Thanks for replies guys, I am going to speak to both planning and BC depts as advised.
I've read all the bumph on it (oct 2008 outbuilding etc...) and seems to me that I should be okay as long as I stick to the guides mentioned in first post.
But not stupid and will speak to them before I continue to build.
KB

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi Guys,
As a follow up to this post regarding the garage,
I've been in touch with planning and building cons.
To be honest Planning were not that helpful just wanted money off me to give me a letter to say my build was legal and didn't need PP
But BC different story, after going through my plans and meterails I intended to use, they said I was exempt. So I can crack on.
KB

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1