Outdoor Lighting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mole320
Labourer
Labourer

Outdoor Lighting

by mole320 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:41 am

I have brough a 300w Security light with PIR and some wiring advice

The light will be fitted on the wall in my back garden which is next to my garage. In the garage there are 2 sockets but i am confused whether they are all spurs from the socket in my hall, i have noticed that the socket in my hall has a wire from it leading to the garage, i followed it and it lead to a single socket into the garage, that single socket in the garage also has another wire coming out to power the other socket in the garage- (i have to sockets in the garage).

Is it possible to wire the outdoor light from a socket in my garage via a FCU although that socket is spured from another socket as i have no where else to wire the light from.

Many thanks
James

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:02 am

You can have only one un-fused spur from an existing socket but once it is fused you have only an area covered by sockets limit. Easy option is change the first socket in the garage to a fused connection unit then feed all others from that. 300w will require under 2 amp so a switch fused connection unit with 3 amp fuse is about right for that. Depending on what you already have! You may want to use an RCD fused connection unit where the power enters the garage. If you have RCD already in the house a 10ma one in the garage would stop garage faults affecting the house.

Yours Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm