Outdoor Pendant Light to go With Large Candle Lantern
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Lori01
Labourer
Labourer

Outdoor Pendant Light to go With Large Candle Lantern

by Lori01 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:27 am

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an outdoor pendant light, to put within a large candle lantern. I have found a single festoon light piece suitable for outdoors but it is as a 'connectable' piece. Ideally I'd like it to be a single piece with the cable around 3mtrs long, with a plug at one end and the lamp holder at the other. I've found what I'm looking for in the US but wondered does the UK have something similar. I do have a pic of what I've found but as it is a screenshot I'm unsure whether I can post it on here. Do you know of something like this or could one be made up?

Thanks for any help

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Outdoor Pendant Light to go With Large Candle Lantern

by ericmark » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:42 am

This site now does allow pictures but I find it a real pain as you don't really know if it has worked until passed by sysop.

I wanted an outside lamp myself and it seems the rules as to having a 13A plug does not apply to lighting so likely what ever you get will require wiring up in some way.

One can now buy PIR's Lidi was selling some at around £3 so today there is nothing to stop you wiring up a lamp as you want it. Switching with either a switch or a sensor (PIR) I would normally either plug in or use a switched FCU (fused connection unit) to supply an outside lamp as they do get water in them so you need to be able to isolate when that happens.

USA uses lower voltage (127 volt) and higher hertz (60Hz) and different colours to us so buying from USA is not really a good idea, they may work but one can't be sure if they are safe with higher voltage, likely they are but also likely thicker cable and you may have problems connecting.

I can't really envisage what you want. You can get lamp holders and also LED strips to make really any lamp you want, however likely it will require some skill to assemble it is unlikely to be plug and play.

Lori01
Labourer
Labourer

by Lori01 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply.

I've added pics for you to see and hopefully you know of something similar here in the UK. They would be within the lantern so sheltered just slightly and the plug would be in a dribox.
rsz_screenshot_2016-02-20-11-58-40-1.jpg
rsz_screenshot_2016-02-20-11-58-40-1.jpg (13.02 KiB) Viewed 1883 times

rsz_screenshot_2016-02-20-11-58-40-1.jpg
rsz_screenshot_2016-02-20-11-58-40-1.jpg (13.02 KiB) Viewed 1883 times

Thanks
Attachments
rsz_screenshot_2016-02-19-08-12-34-1-1.jpg
rsz_screenshot_2016-02-19-08-12-34-1-1.jpg (13.39 KiB) Viewed 1883 times

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:51 am

You have done well with pictures likely better than me it seems to only show link address a standard bulb holder as I hope is shown should be OK you can't make the bulb water proof so no point in making the holder water proof.

I found to my cost with a leak in the bathroom as it ran down the lamp flex it holed the bulb which filled up with water this is common with any hot bulb if water runs on it.

You can get 110 volt festoon lamps designed to cope with a little water but not 230 volt since USA is 110 volts or near enough then basic it is the same as us with 110 volt outdoor lamps but not 230 volt where the bulb is exposed. But your bulb is not really exposed.

Always remember to leave a place where water can get out. It will always get in in small quantities but if the lamp is earthed and there is also an exit then it should be OK.

Lori01
Labourer
Labourer

by Lori01 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:17 pm

Hi Eric,

Here's the actual link of the lamp holder. They dont deliver to the UK but i did find somewhere that would.

You can read about it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010RN96E ... C+Black%29

This is waterproof but has a two pin plug. Would putting a 3 pin plug on this be ok within a dribox. Such a shame we haven't got something like this here. I've seen a single festoon bulb holder here but as I said in the first post it's a connectable piece and I would have to hide (which could be done) the connection within the top of the lantern.

I was going to make an opening at the bottom to feed cable and lamp holder through, the cable would run up along the inside edge and I was going to fix an S hook so the lamp holder hangs centrally with an LED filament bulb, like the old vintage e27 edison bulbs, i think it would look lovely :)

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:51 pm

Do not buy Edisonn Screw from the USA they are not E27 but an imperial size they are not interchangeable.

I would by a brass lamp holder as a brass lamp holder has an earth connection. Dinner back latter.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:53 pm

Google "standard lamp fittings" then click on images and you will see a host of methods to connect the lamp holder into the unit.

Be it a threaded boss or tube you need a way to connect the bulb holder and the lamp. I found http://www.lampsandlights.co.uk/light-galleries.php which seems to show a lot of methods.

I would tend to use gold coloured flex it seems to go with that type of lamp. I would earth the lamp it is metal and should there be an accident then it is possible the whole item becomes live. So if earthed and that was to happen it will blow a fuse failing safe.

You will not find a plug and play device because it does need the whole unit earthing and a plug and play device would not allow you to do that.

USA uses E26 Edison Screw - Reduced Low voltage: 100-110V
Europe including UK uses E27 Edison Screw - Low voltage: 220-240V

So don't get stuff from USA.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm