outdoor post lanterns
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
skin
Apprentice
Apprentice

outdoor post lanterns

by skin » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:02 am

hi all, i have been given a job to do for a friend of mine and would appreciate some professional advice. there are two pillars at the end of the drive which are about 15metres from the house, what would the best method for installing the cable up to the lights? should i use armoured cable and clip them to the walls or is there a better way?
many thanks for reading

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:26 pm

Armoured cable SWA would be the norm. But the problem is the charges that the local authority make to register the work under Part P. Although it is the responsibility of your friend you would not be much of a friend not to tell him.
Registered electricians can under the Part P regulations self certify which saves them around £70 per job which means they can be cheaper than DIY. Yes dig the trench or drill holes etc. But before you start find an electrician and agree with him how the job is to be done as he on the paper work needs to have designed the work so too late once everything is done to call him.
And lights on gate posts are not likely to be missed and Part L also has a bearing so one has to be so careful now.
I will of course help but I would not really be helping if I did not tell you about the 2004 laws.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:35 pm