Outdoor socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Marcus1984
Labourer
Labourer

Outdoor socket

by Marcus1984 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:28 pm

What cable should be used for an outdoor socket if running straight from an rcd built in plug? Is 1.5mm 3core flex fine?

ban-all-sheds
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ban-all-sheds » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:57 pm

Is this a fixed outside socket?

If so, it should be done properly, with proper fixed wiring and fixed connections, not a plug and flex...

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:23 am

It could be OK but also you could invalidate your insurance and introduce danger. The plug and socket arrangement if left plugged in can be a source of bad connections. And if you don't fix the outside socket to the wall it can very easily get water in it. If you fix it to the wall then it must be tested and paperwork raised and submitted under Part P. Earth leakage trips are NOT tested by pressing the button this only tests the mechanics the tester is used three times. Once to check it does not trip at 15ma then that is does trip at 30ma and then that it trips in 40ms at 150ma testers to do this are not cheap and as well as this R1 and R2 need to be measured and the earth leakage although unlikely to fail on that but still you need to submit all these result and the cost of the meters mean even qualified electricians have problems wiring their own houses borrowing being a problem where traceable records are required not easy if they don't belong to you.

Sorry but now even industrial electricians have problems working on their own houses.

All best Eric

Marcus1984
Labourer
Labourer

by Marcus1984 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:33 pm

Its an outdoor socket kit that i bought that comes with the outdoor socket to fit to wall along with RCD plug to plug into socket indoors. Just wanted to know correct cable to use as it would need to be a flex most likely 1.5mm 3core type HO5RN-F.
Thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:47 pm

As the guide books point out one can't get over 1.5mm into a 13 amp plug according to how the cable is run 1.5mm is rated between 14.5 and 20 amps so yes it is thick enough but it will not comply with regulations unless the socket is inspected and tested and all details submitted to the council if it is fixed and unless fixed no real point. I would be wrong not to point this out. Also do not use white flex as sunlight degrades white flex should be black to resist UV or at least blue correct colour for 230 volt. I don't like outside sockets too easy for water to get in if it must be outside I always tried to get a box similar to bird box to mount them in so not directly in weather. Too easy for caps to be left off or lids not to seal. I have 10ma RCD for my outside use mainly so it does not trip 30ma for whole house but also RCD's need return current to work and as one goes further out into the garden they are less and less effective I have seen many lawn mower and hedge trimmer cables cut without tripping RCD even seen someone repairing cable live as they thought RCD or MCB would have tripped. And also returned many new faulty RCD's they are only batch tested in manufacture. So I would get it checked before use.

All best Eric

Marcus1984
Labourer
Labourer

by Marcus1984 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:03 am

Thanks will get it all checked out.

sbelectrical
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sbelectrical » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:42 pm

hi there i would just like to point out that 1.5mm should run no more the 16amp not 20amp i know the gentelman did say between 14.5 to 20 but it's acctually 16 also because you are feeding an outside socket which could have anyting plugged into it, it should really be 2.5mm but hard to say when not sure of the cicumstances, to be safe it should be on 2.5mm
3 core cable backed up via an 30ma rcd unit of some sort.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:52 pm