Outside light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Keithy
Labourer
Labourer

Outside light

by Keithy » Tue May 08, 2007 12:06 pm

I have power in the garage in the form of double switches and lights. I want to fix a light to the outside of the garage and would like some advice on how best to achieve this.

My plan was to ignore th existing light cables, as I want to operate the light from its own switch and put a junction box in a cable running down to a double socket. From this juction box I was going to feed an additional cable to the light switch. From this switch I would run a cable up and into the light fitting outside. If I am correct in this train of thought, can you advise on what wiring is required in the switch. Is it simply a case of matching the red to red and black to black?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue May 08, 2007 7:32 pm

First of all you do know that work on external wiring is not a DIY job as must be done to comply with bldg regs Part P.
Also what you are proposing is unsafe.
you can't run a light from a socket supply unless you go via a fuse of not more than 5A, & if you wire red to red, black to black when you switch on there will be a big BANG! It's called a short circuit!
your Registered electrician will wire from socket via a switched-fused connection unit (5A fused) to the light either using the switch as your light sw. or via another sw. on the way, in which he will connect the two BROWN lives to each side of the sw. & loop the two BLUE wires together in a spare connector in sw. box, not forgetting the Green/Yellow sleeved earth wires also, we have not legally used red/black cable in UK for over 2 years .
regards SPARX

Keithy
Labourer
Labourer

by Keithy » Wed May 09, 2007 8:58 am

Cheers Mr Sparx.

The red and black wires are from a reel of cable I purchased about 10 years ago.

I have a sparky coming round who mentioned a fused spur and I will let him complete job. Thanks for your advice. :)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:11 pm