DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Outside Light with plug

Postby CraigL » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:29 am

I've got a security light in the back garden, and it's just on a plug that comes through the wall

Is there a simple way to put this on a switch inside the house?

Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:47 pm


Simply Build It

Postby moggy1968 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:34 pm

it rather depends on the layout of the electrics in the house. you could put it onto a switched fused spur from your socket circuit, or change the cable set up so it goes onto the lighting circuit, however, as both these involve new cable the work would be notifiable under part P regulations. Also the circuit would need RCD protection. this may already be on your socket circuit, if not an inline RCD fused spur unit could be used.
get a part P registered spark in for a quote, it may not be too much work and cheaper than you think. Alternatively, if it's just case of switching you are bothered about then you can get plugs with a rocker switch on them.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:32 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics