Outside Power using RCBO please advise
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

JAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Glanding question

by JAP » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:10 am

Eric/ Forum,

Sorry to be a pain

Just want to check this with you please before actioning :

[u]Question on fitting the external gland[/u]

With regards to fitting the 6mm SWA cable to outside MK Plastic weatherproof socket using the SWA gland it comes with a nut and earth tag.

From what I am reading you should put a bolt through the mounting socket box (even though its plastic) through the eye of the earth tag to earth it

However if I do this it will affect the IP rating for the weather proofing of the box.

Should I be using a Piranha Earth Locking Nut instead i.e :

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Prod ... RPEN20.JPG

I can then use and earth wire with and eye to connect the earth to the Piranha nut.

In fact rather than messing about with bolts and having to drill through the box whether it be metal clad or plastic could I not use Piranha nut instead of the nut and earth tag even if I am glanding to a straight forward metal 2 x 2 box?

Apart from being a bit more costly are their any issues with this?

regards

J. A.P

JAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Earthing SWA cable

by JAP » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:59 pm

Eric/Forum,

I have since been advised that I could use the earth tag that comes with the gland by using it inside the plastic back box bend up the eye tag and put a bolt through the eye hole and connect an earth cable to act as an additional earth.

Is this recommended?

Also advised that as I am earthing the swa cable anyway the other end is going into a metal box that I dont need to take the above action in the MK weatherproof socket ?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?

regards

J.A.P

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:05 pm

I have many times used both banjo washers and the special earthing tags for flame proof fitting to get an earth in a plastic box. But it is very easy for the gland to warp the box and a lot of care is required.
As long as you test the earth loop impedance and it falls within the requirements no problem with not using link other end.
But I was assuming you would not test as required and you may lack some skill so I did not want to suggest something which may cause problems.
Eric
PS if steel nuts I would not put banjo on inside keep brass or copper as connection route.

JAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

by JAP » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:14 pm

Ok Eric,

Thanks again

regards

It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:48 am