Outside sensor light not turning off
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NJG
Labourer
Labourer

Outside sensor light not turning off

by NJG » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:39 pm

We have an outside sensor light that’s been on 24/7 for about 5 days.

We've tried all the switches and none turn the light off. We’ve identified that it runs off the downstairs light circuit on the fuse board and have turned that switch off on the fuse board for 5 minutes and the light came back on when the switch was turned on. We also turned the fuse board off for 5 minutes and it came back on once power was restored.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can do to turn the light off or stop it getting power?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Outside sensor light not turning off

by Mr White » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:31 pm

To stop something getting power, it will have to be disconnected. To do this, you will have to find where it is connected to your downstairs lighting circuit. To do that, you will have to follow the cable.

There is a possibility that it has been connected to an isolator switch or a fused connection unit.

The other option is to open the fitting and take the lamp out.

Sadly, there is no such thing as "The electricians secret way of turning it off"

NJG
Labourer
Labourer

by NJG » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:42 pm

Thanks,

The cables disappear into the wall and I can’t trace where they go to. There are other outside lights that aren’t working so I wonder if there is a wider issue.

Would taking the bulb out cut the electricity supply?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:11 am

Unless it all gets looked at it is not possible to say remotely why the other lights do not work, It may just be the other lamps have failed. Clearly the one that is always on, the electronics have failed.

Taking out the lamp in the fitting that is always on will not "cut the electricity supply" it will however stop electricity being used by that fitting.

Imagine you have a bedside light, and you take the lamp out, everything else will still work............except for the bedside light.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:36 pm

In my old house I had a problem, it seems the unit was not very well sealed so I had to look inside to see where there were electronics then drill a small hole about 1 mm in bottom of lamp to let the water out.

Outside lights should be supplied from a double pole isolator so if water does get in they can be isolated and rest of home lights are not affected, but the word is "should" often they are not even legal for home use, seen many over 150 watt and to use over 150 watt needs planing permission.

I have given up with PIR's and in the main use smart bulbs, or socket adaptors etc. Don't really care if an intruder hurts him/her self in the dark, the lights are for me, so I can see to get into house.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:13 am