oven/hob meaning 2 radial circuits?
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
olivier
Labourer
Labourer

oven/hob meaning 2 radial circuits?

by olivier » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:41 am

I am currently redoing my kitchen and while doing the plaster, did burry a 6mm2 cable ready for use (not connected to the cu, also cu to be updated very soon)

I am planning to re-use the existing built-in oven (not sure of wattage) fit and an electical hob 6kW.
I initially thought I could feed one 45A DP switch (32A MCB on cu) and from the cooker connection unit, connect both the oven and hob both with 6mm2.
I was advised to run 2 separate radial circuits, the existing 6mm2 for the hob and an extra 2.5mm2 for the oven, each having a 45A DP switch.
This would mean more work to re-chanel the wall, route a new cable and fit a second 45A DP switch. Do cooker switch need to be between 600mm-2m from hob/cooker?
A 1st advise was one cooker switch would be enough...

Also, what if I upgrade the oven to more powerful or double oven?

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:11 pm

Generally, if the built under appliance is a single oven it will usually work from a 13 amp plug, so could plug into the cooker socket which would allow both to be linked to the 6mm2 cable. If you open the oven door and look around the front edge of the oven, you should see a sticker that indicates power usage. If it's more than 3kw, it needs hard wiring.

If additional power is required, then either additional separate radial circuit needs fitting or alternatively, the 6mm2 could be uprated to 10mm2.

It has to be pointed out that electrical work in a kitchen clearly comes under the part p building regulations, and you are legally required to ensure that all work carried out complies with these requirements.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:04 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:47 pm