Overflow Pipe
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tanya82
Labourer
Labourer

Overflow Pipe

by Tanya82 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:14 pm

Hi

Can anyone give m e a clue as to what is going on with my overflow pipe - I have noticed in the last few weeks that the overflow at the front of my house keeps dripping in the evening (there is a couple of pipes).
This morning it was so icy I nearly fell over it, so I have looked on here and gone out and felt the water - it is warmish, but can't find the reason it is dripping.

Can anyone give me an idea, do I need to get a plumber or is it something I can do myself - like changing a ball?

Any help is appreciated, Tanya

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:35 pm

what type of heating system do you have - if you don't know - what's the make and model of the boiler.

keitht
Apprentice
Apprentice

by keitht » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:43 pm

if the water is warm sounds like the heating is pumpin over therefor fiilin the header tank

Sparkgap
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Sparkgap » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:59 pm

Is this a sealed system (boiler fed off the mains, no tank in roof)? Have you topped up the boiler recently? If yes it could be your expansion vessel inside the boiler. Had a similar problem with mine which I thought was due to leakage from the heating system and topped up from the mains, then overflow/safety valve started dripping. Because air had leaked out of the expansion vessel as the system warmed up and water expanded there was nowhere for it to go except out the safety valve. Got bike pump and put more air in expansion vessel and all okay.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1