P5 Chipboard for the ground floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Andy Grow
Labourer
Labourer

P5 Chipboard for the ground floor

Post by Andy Grow » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:09 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a question regarding putting P5 moisture resistant chipboard on the suspended flooring of the ground floor. I've already done so on the first floor instead of flooring boards and was very happy with the outcome ( cost effective, even floor, no hassle). But I'm not sure about doing the same on the ground floor. The distanсe to the ground is 40 cm (16 inches) and the soil doesn't look wet at all. I also plan to put a frame of timber along the walls.
The old joists are rotten away (I assume it's because there was no damp proof under the laminate).
So the question is if it's ok to put P5 chipboard on the ground floor and if so, can I use 18 mm ones or 22mm only?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: P5 Chipboard for the ground floor

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:47 pm

Hi Andy grow
If your joists have rotted away there is an issue with damp irrespective of the flooring you use. The thickness of the chipboard is dictated by the spacing of the joists but you can always use the thicker stuff for a more solid floor.
Regards S

Andy Grow
Labourer
Labourer

Re: P5 Chipboard for the ground floor

Post by Andy Grow » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:59 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:28 pm