Padstones - grr
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tjohndavies
Labourer
Labourer

Padstones - grr

by tjohndavies » Mon May 30, 2011 7:19 am

I am stuck. I am building a garage and need a padstone calculation for Building Regs. I have been looking for a free on line calc. site to do this - I managed to find one for the I beam resting on it - but can't find one anywhere! Are there tables anywhere I can use? I have managed to avoid any professional fees so far and hope to carry on doing so!!

Just in case anyone here can work this out for me -

The garage will be 7.12 m. long, single story, will have beam midway 2.55 m. long helping support a concrete tile pent roof. At either end will be a supporting wall in brick. The I beam or RSJ is 178x102x19UB At one side it will be let into the side of the house, on the other it will test on a standard concrete block pillar - I think the proper name is a pilaster - 440x215x100 the wall will be built of the same block, which has 7kn crushing strength. The brick used in the house is very hard - almost as hard as engineerting brick as far as I can tell. Known as bellringers in the trade.

Hope someone is able to help. Will post a full plan showing the beam if anyone can tell me how.

Many thanks

J D

andy01
Ganger
Ganger

by andy01 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:50 pm

what you are aiming to do is ensure the load N/ mm2 on plan at the intersection between the padsone and brickwork is less than the compressive strength of the block 7n/mm2 (not 7kn).

we need to know the load at each end of the beam in kN.

assuming the steel size is correct you can prob use a 440x215x100mm RC of the shelf padstone

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1