Paint for garden decking & pergola
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
craigfarrall
Apprentice
Apprentice

Paint for garden decking & pergola

by craigfarrall » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:59 pm

I have recently built a pergola and decking area in my garden using timber. I am now wanting to paint everything grey, to match the fence panels and general style of everything else in my garden.

Whenever I go to look at what paint is available online and read reviews, they generally keep saying the same thing that after a short amount of time, the paint starts to crack and then looks awful. Meaning you have to sand things down and re-paint. I don't have a problem doing a new coat every year to keep on top of things, but it's the cracking that concerns me and looks like more maintenance than I was expecting. Is there any type of paint I could use, that is recommended for this? I know that stains will be better for this, but I do prefer to paint an actual solid colour. I assume getting anti-slip paint would be best too, based on the fact the decking will be painted too?

Any help of any brands that you recommend and would serve these needs would be hugely appreciated. Or just any general advice.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Paint for garden decking & pergola

by stoneyboy » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:07 pm

Hi craigfarrall,
If you are ok with white use an architectural stain for the structure. The decking will have been treated with a wax preservative so leave this for a season and then use a decking stain.
Paint will be useless.
Regards S

Nicoholas
Labourer
Labourer

by Nicoholas » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:03 am

A pergola should be painted with acrylic paint since it is weather-resistant and long-lasting. When the humidity is very low, oil-based paints are best applied during the driest season.

Nicoholas
Labourer
Labourer

by Nicoholas » Tue May 17, 2022 7:19 pm

Deck paint can be either oil-based or acrylic — both are good products. Oil-based paint has the advantage of being slower-drying, which makes outdoor application easier and more mistake-free. Acrylic paints have less VOCs and clean up easier. Another option is solid color stains.

jr09
Labourer
Labourer

by jr09 » Thu May 26, 2022 1:52 pm

For me i'd opt for a good quality water-based acrylic.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:01 am